Thursday, October 18, 2012

You Are... Honest

“We tell lies when we are afraid...  But every time we tell a lie, the thing that we fear grows stronger.” -Tad Williams
When I was little, I had trouble with telling lies. I was so concerned with pleasing everyone around me, especially my parents, that I would tell a lie in order to avoid disappointing people. Eventually, though, the truth would come out; and I soon realized that being honest with a person the first time around was far less disappointing to them than finding out that I had lied.
Today, I want to encourage you to be honest in who you are. This quote by Tad Williams speaks so dearly to the hardship that comes with honesty, something I have struggled with for a long time; fear. Williams is spot on about the fears that arise when showing people who you are. To overcome these fears and be honest with others, we must first be honest with ourselves.
One of my favorite TV shows is called Psych. There is an episode of this show where the main character (a man pretending to be a psychic, when, in reality, he is just observant) is hooked up to a lie detector. The interrogator asks him if he is really a psychic. Before the man answers, he forces himself to believe the lie beyond a shadow of a doubt. After he does that, the lie then becomes his truth. In the same way, the more we convince ourselves of something and display it for others to see, the more our lies become deceitful truth.
Tad Williams profoundly states that, when we tell lies, the fears that we have gain power. The more you convince yourself that you aren’t smart, kind, creative, dependable, etc. whatever you fear in being honest takes more power in your life. Be true to who you are! You are honest.
Feel Free to Quote Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment